The former Clegg's Felt Factory
(originally Gateacre Brewery)
Gateacre Brow, Liverpool


The Fleetwood family - who also owned breweries and maltings in Tarbock and Wavertree - established a brewery in Gateacre in the early nineteenth century. The present building dates from circa 1867. The business was later taken over by the Gregory family, and continued to operate as a brewery and malthouse until the 1920s, when it became the Felt and Flock Factory of Messrs Arthur Clegg & Son. Cleggs ceased operations in December 2003.

Below: Ordnance Survey map, 1907, showing the location of the Brewery

Below: Ordnance Survey map, 1907, showing more of Gateacre Village

These web pages are maintained by THE GATEACRE SOCIETY for the information of local residents and the general public. The Society gratefully acknowledges the assistance of the owner's architects, who have kindly supplied illustrative material and consented to its display. All such material is © COPYRIGHT A2architects Ltd, Liverpool, and must NOT be reproduced without permission.

Next page          HOME PAGE          Contact us

Page created 8 May 2005 by MRC