A BRIEF HISTORY OF GATEACRE
from the Gateacre Society, Liverpool

GATEACRE
SOCIETY
Home Page




GATEACRE CHAT Message Board

The name GATEACRE (pronounced gat-ick-er, not gate-acre) is thought to derive from 'gata' - the way - to the 'acre field' of Much Woolton. Gateacre was never a township in its own right. The village was bisected by the boundary between Much and Little Woolton: 'Much' being centred on Woolton village, and 'Little' being an almost entirely rural area which included Netherley. The present-day Halewood Road and Grange Lane follow the line of an old packhorse trail, which led from the Mersey at Hale to the settlement of West Derby before Liverpool even existed. The crossroads in Gateacre is shown on eighteenth-century maps, and the 'Bull' and 'Bear' would at that time have catered for travellers passing through the district.

(Below:)
GATEACRE VILLAGE one hundred years ago
as recorded by the Ordnance Survey in 1907

Continued . . .

Continue reading our Brief History of Gateacre
. . . or
View a list of our specialist History Pages


Search the site or Contact us

Page created 14 August 2005 by MRC, last updated 26 May 2011