A WALK ROUND WOOLTON
A review of our Summer Evening event
There was a good turnout for our walk on 3rd July with Merseyguide Margaret Benham. From the village cross (restored in 1913) we advanced to 43-47 Woolton Street where nuns, banished from their convent near Cambrai, France, found refuge in 1795. They advertised for girl pupils, making this one of the first Catholic convent schools in England. The order still exists today at Stanbrook, near Worcester.
Ashton Square held a delightful surprise: a true cottage garden in all its summer splendour. No wonder it was judged the best Woolton garden in the 'Britain in Bloom' competition. We were amongst the last to traverse the footpath from Speke Road into the Square; soon afterwards it was closed to the public with 'Private' on the gate.
Woolton Hall was opened to us. The present owner let us view his 'gallery' - portraits of previous owners of this gracious abode - as well as some of the Hall's still-handsome rooms.
Altogether a short but tantalising look at the history of Much Woolton.