No.102 High Street

Cross Waterloo Street and walk a few more paces down the High Street, stopping outside the bow-fronted shop (No.102) now called The Baluster. This kind of shop window must have been relatively common in Georgian Liverpool, but today this is the only surviving example. As a result this is a Grade II* ('two starred') Listed Building, along with the properties on either side which form part of the same block. The only other Wavertree buildings to be given such a high grading are the Blue Coat School and Chapel, and Holy Trinity Parish Church.

By 1980 the unique shop-front of No.102 - then occupied by Wavertree's last surviving traditional cobbler - was on the verge of disintegration. Fortunately, however, it was saved and expertly restored by the wood-turner who then began to sell his wares from the premises. It seems that this building has been the home of craftsmen for most of its days, for the 1846 Tithe Map shows it as a 'Sadlers Shop' occupied by John Gore, and Gore was still there in 1895. It was briefly occupied by Henry Broadbent, cycle manufacturer, about 1900, but by 1901 James Whittaker, boot dealer, had taken over.

Old photographs show that No.100 High Street - now 'High Street Antiques' - also had a small-paned shop window in the early part of the present century. It was, however, flat rather than bow-fronted. The 'Timberlines' shopfront at No.98 dates only from 1992, when the building became the head office of this local shopfitting and joinery company. It is in many ways a 'model' refurbishment of a front elevation, in stark contrast to some of the business premises lower down the High Street and in Picton Road.

The above is an extract from 'DISCOVERING HISTORIC WAVERTREE',
. © Mike Chitty 1999.
If you have any queries, memories, old photographs or other information
about Wavertree, or comments on our site, please contact us

Home page                    Return to Map 1                  Return to Key Map                  Next page

Page created by MRC 26 February 2000.