From Rose Cottage, look across to the other (south) side of the High Street. To the right of Wavertree Gardens is a row of three Georgian houses faced in stucco over sandstone. Further to the right is a row of six brick houses, originally known as 'Grove Terrace'. Like Rose Cottage, all of these houses are now Listed Buildings and alterations to their external appearance are discouraged.
In the early nineteenth century, when these houses were built, Wavertree was changing from a sleepy agricultural village to a fairly exclusive dormitory area for Liverpool. These were 'town houses' - in the style which was fashionable in Liverpool itself (Hope Street, Canning Street, etc.) - but with the advantage of views over open countryside.
Continue walking down the High Street until you reach the Wavertree Car Centre sales site. Just opposite is Wavertree's newest Listed Building: the telephone box outside No.24. This is an example of the 'K6' type Jubilee Kiosk - designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, the architect of Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral - which, although once very common, is now being phased out. This particular box became a Listed Building in 1989, having been selected for preservation because of its position within the Wavertree Village Conservation Area.
The occupier of No.24 High Street in the 1860s was William Quiggin, a Liverpool shipbuilder best remembered for the blockade runners which his firm supplied to the Confederate cause in the American Civil War. Quiggin, who had moved here from Mill Street in Toxteth, also engaged in property development in Wavertree, being responsible for building what became the Prince Alfred pub and nearby shops.
Next door, at No.22, the 1861 Census records Dr Edward Swinden, a general practitioner and surgeon born in Yorkshire. He lived there with his wife, born in Staffordshire, their five children and three servants. At No.26 - the slightly smaller house to the left - was the Hampshire-born merchant Richard Phillips, his Denbighshire-born wife, three children and a single servant.
The passageway alongside No.22 - separating Grove Terrace from the Post Office - is still officially called Paradise Gardens: formerly the address of a cluster of tiny cottages on the edge of The Mystery which, to the dismay of the residents, were demolished as 'slums' in the 1960s. The red-brick block which includes the Post Office (as well as 'Chequers' pub) was built in 1888 by the Bank of Liverpool, to house its Wavertree branch.