NOTES AND QUERIES
The Society receives many requests for information and assistance with family history and similar research. Here are some of the queries recently received:
1. Does anyone have a photograph of Croft Cottage, which used to stand on the north side of Prince Alfred Road, near the Church Road end?
2. Was there once a cricket ground in the vicinity of Grant Avenue/Smithdown Road?
3. Does anyone know anything about Charles R. Wood, an artist in oils and watercolours who once lived at 25 Prince Alfred Road? He exhibited a work entitled 'A Welsh night at the Philharmonic' in 1929.
4. Has anyone heard of Vernon Priory (situated in Edge Hill rather than Wavertree) said to have been accessed by tunnels in the 1790s?
5. Does anyone remember Messrs Whiteley Mills, precision toolmakers of Prince Alfred Road, or Messrs Garrett Whiteley & Co., manufacturers of wireless parts and 'Lotus' radios in Mill Lane in the 1930s?
6. Does anyone know which house in Sandown Park was called 'Balmoral' in 1938?
If you can help, please contact our Local History Secretary Mike Chitty.