We are pleased to announce that all of last September's Heritage Open Day venues will be welcoming visitors again this year. There will also be two NEW attractions: Bethel Chapel in Heathfield Road, and Guided Walks starting from St Barnabas Church. Here is the list of
opening times so far confirmed:
1. St Barnabas Church, Penny Lane (entrance in Allerton Road). 12noon-5pm. There will be a family fun local history quiz - and people will be invited to bring photos or record their memories of 'the changing face of Penny Lane'. Guided walks by qualified Blue Badge guides will also be offered, on the theme 'Discover the hidden history of the Penny Lane area'.
2. Bethel Welsh Chapel, Heathfield Road (entrance in Auckland Road). 2.30-4pm only. Following the demolition of the original church in 2011, the former vestry and Sunday School building has been converted into a new chapel and meeting room. Books by Rev D. Ben Rees on Liverpool's Welsh heritage, etc., will be on sale at bargain prices.
3. Blue Coat School frontage, Church Road (entrance under clock tower). 12-4pm. See the Board Room and Chapel of this fine Edwardian building, which has been restored by the Liverpool Blue Coat School Foundation and is now available as a venue for civil weddings, etc.
4. Holy Trinity Church, Church Road. 12-5pm. Originally consecrated in 1794, the church was transformed in 1911 by the addition of Charles Reilly's baptistry and apse. Information booklets about the 1911 extension project will be on sale to visitors.
5. Wavertree Congregational Church, Hunters Lane. 12-4pm. Refreshments and guided tours of the building will once again be available. In addition, there will be a small display of wedding dresses worn by members of the church's congregation - some of them dating back 60 years.
6. Wavertree Lock-up, Childwall Road/Lake Road. 12-4pm. The Wavertree Society will be opening this historic, octagonal sandstone building to visitors for the 20th year in succession. The Society's books, tea towels, calendars, Christmas cards, etc., will be on sale as usual.
7. The Lamb, High Street. 12-5pm. Now the offices of BMD:LAW solicitors, but with many of the former pub's interior features recently restored.
8. St Mary's Church, South Drive. 12.30-4pm. A reprint of the 1952 'Consecration of St Mary's' booklet will be on sale. Refreshments (tea/coffee and biscuits) and toilet facilities will also be available.