Find the answer in this extract from Page 11 of  'Discovering Historic Wavertree':

From this side turning, look straight across the High Street at the Cock & Bottle pub. This view was once the subject of numerous picture postcards. Why? Because No.95 High Street, Wavertree - now the right-hand end of the pub - was known as the 'Smallest House in England'. Just 6 ft wide, and 14 ft from front to back, it was occupied as a house until 1925. There are stories of a husband and wife having raised eight children in the house, and also of one very large resident who had to go upstairs sideways even after the staircase was widened to 16 inches from its original 8!

The 'Smallest House' - the façade of which was renovated in 1998 by the owners, Bass Taverns, so as to more clearly resemble its original appearance - was probably not all that old. The evidence of old maps suggests that it was built around 1850 in what had been a side passageway. (The Cock & Bottle was at that time a Temperance Coffee House). Much older is the building next door, now a betting shop. Building work in 1989 revealed an old sandstone lintel above the original front doorway, with the carved inscription 'J J L 1766'. These initials may, perhaps, have referred to John Leech, who is recorded as the licensee of The Lamb in 1777 and a trustee of Holy Trinity Church in 1793.

Click here for more questions

Page created 31 Oct 1999 by MRC.