Find the answer in this extract from Page 29 of  'Discovering Historic Wavertree':

Stand opposite the former Wesleyan Methodist chapel (built in 1837) just beyond Wesley Place, and look up at the red-and-gold painted pediment in the centre of the Terrace. Sandown Terrace is shown on the Wavertree Tithe Map of 1846, but not on Leather's map of 1836. On the Tithe Map the buildings are described as 'cottages': possibly to avoid the payment of window tax. They were owned by William Bennett, an ironfounder with a foundry in Whitechapel, Liverpool. His origins were in Chester, which must account for the three wheatsheaves - symbols of the County of Cheshire - in the pediment design. Bennett was later to become Mayor of Liverpool, but in 1846 he was still a young man. Why he decided to build such an impressive terrace of houses in a rural backwater like Sandown Lane is not at all clear!

The occupants of Sandown Terrace at the time of the 1851 Census included a butcher, a cotton broker, a customs officer, a retired grocer, a nurseryman, a ship broker, a 'gentlewoman teacher' and a tobacco manufacturer, along with two clerks and two 'house proprietors'. The iron railings in front date from the early 1980s, when the residents formed an Association to restore the facade to its original, uniform appearance with the help of Inner City grants. Until that happened, the houses presented a mixture of different coloured paintwork and pebbledash, and windows in a variety of styles.

Click here for more questions

Page created 31 Oct 1999 by MRC.