(Continued from
previous page

The walled garden opened to the public in 1921 as an Old English Garden, and in 1927 a Floral Cuckoo Clock was presented by the family of James Bellhouse Gaskell (Holbrook's son) in memory of his long connection with the area. The house itself was demolished in 1948, but of course the woods and garden still survive as a much appreciated local amenity. Sadly the cuckoo clock is no longer operational.

Continued . . .

Above: The remains of the Woolton Wood floral clock in October 2020

Below left:
A postcard showing the Floral Clock in its heyday

Below right:
The Walled Garden in August 2020

Above: An extract from the Ordnance Survey six-inch map of 1894
Image © COPYRIGHT National Library of Scotland

MORE NEWS  News menu  NEWS INDEX  About the Society

Previous page          Next page          Home page          Search the site          Contact us

Page created 6 Mar 2021 by MRC