(Continued from previous page):

Meanwhile another estate - known as Camp Hill - had been created to the south of Woolton Wood. The two mansion houses stood close to one another on the west side of School Lane, but this was the 'tradesmen's entrance'. Other visitors would have entered via the gates next to the respective lodges: in High Street (near Quarry Street South) for Woolton Wood, and in Hillfoot Road for Camp Hill. This was not an unusual arrangement; the wealthy residents wanted their guests to be impressed by the long drive through their grounds before reaching the house!

The Camp Hill mansion, built in the 1850s, was by 1881 the home of Droitwich-born Frederick Herbert Gossage (1832-1907). He owned a large soap factory in Widnes and was, as a result, a business acquaintance of his neighbour Holbrook Gaskell. At the 1881 Census he and his wife were away from home, the house being occupied by their 2 daughters, 2 sons, 1 niece, 2 nephews, 1 visitor and 11 servants.

In 1921 a subsequent owner, Charles James Williams, bequeathed the estate to Liverpool Corporation. Once again, the house has now gone, but the lodge and the grounds - including the sunken Dutch Garden of Meditation created in 1928 - survive as part of the wider 'Woolton Wood & Camp Hill' public open space.

Above: The 'Dutch Garden of Meditation' (off School Lane, Woolton) in Nov.2017 and Aug.2020
© Mike Chitty, The Gateacre Society

Below: Relics of the demolished Chapel of the Liverpool School for the Blind can be found close to the site of the Camp Hill mansion. On the right is an 1829 engraving of the Chapel, which originally stood off London Road but was moved to Hardman Street when Lime Street Station expanded. The building was again dismantled in the 1930s, but the fluted columns were salvaged for possible re-use elsewhere.

MORE NEWS  News menu  NEWS INDEX  About the Society

Previous page          Next page          Home page          Search the site          Contact us

Page created 6 Mar 2021 by MRC